Get creative and maximize your students' potential
By Ashley Irwin
As a teacher, I know how important it is to create a positive and safe learning environment for our students. One way we can achieve this is through PBIS (Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports) programs. These programs focus on rewarding positive behavior rather than punishing negative behavior, and they have been proven to be effective in promoting a positive school climate.
One popular way to implement PBIS is through the use of custom coins that students can earn for demonstrating desired behaviors. Here are some ideas for coins that align with PBIS and can be fun for students to earn:
- Respect Coin: This coin can be earned for showing respect to others, including classmates, teachers, and staff members.
- Responsibility Coin: This coin can be earned for taking responsibility for one's actions and belongings, including completing homework, turning in assignments on time, and keeping the classroom clean and organized.
- Kindness Coin: This coin can be earned for showing kindness and compassion to others, including classmates, teachers, and staff members.
- Citizenship Coin: This coin can be earned for being a good citizen, including following school rules, being a positive role model for others, and participating in school events.
- Teamwork Coin: This coin can be earned for demonstrating teamwork and collaboration with classmates, including working together on group projects, helping others when needed, and being a positive and supportive team member.
- Perseverance Coin: This coin can be earned for demonstrating perseverance and a positive attitude, including working hard to overcome challenges and obstacles, and showing determination and grit.
These are just a few ideas for coins that can align with PBIS and promote positive behavior in the classroom and school. Of course, you can customize your coins to fit your school's values and desired behaviors. By using coins as rewards, we can create a fun and motivating way for students to practice positive behavior and create a positive school climate.